Check back regularly for full-time staff positions and student opportunities.
SSTI often seeks graduate students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison to assist with projects and day-to-day operations, including our blog, newsletter, and webinars. We believe in helping students along their transportation-related career paths through hands on experience working directly with our research staff and with transportation professionals and government officials across the country.
Strong candidates should demonstrate:
- A bachelor’s degree in urban planning, civil engineering, or a related field.
- An interest in sustainable and equitable transportation solutions, with some related experience.
- An ability to learn, adapt, and work in teams to produce reliable results on schedule.
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Professionalism in working with researchers, transportation professionals, government officials, and other partners.
Technical skills such as GIS, R, Python, SQL, and statistical analysis are appreciated, but may also be learned on the job.
- Students are expected to work 20 hours per week and participate in staff meetings on a regular basis, but most responsibilities may be conducted remotely.
- Students are offered a workspace at COWS, in the Sewell Social Science Building.
- Students are compensated and earn tuition remission, in accordance with UW policies.